My Handid Christmas

Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Sneak Peak!!

As many of you may know I am writing a book about my ggg grandmother Anna who was a true pioneer woman.
I have finally gotten chapter 18 almost completed. While I was working on it tonight I thought I would share a small exerpt with you!

On May first Lod hitched up the buggy for the trip to see Nancy in Whiteside County.
It was a wonderful day for a trip in the buggy! The sun was shining and a soft breeze was rippling the long green prairie grass. The prairie phlox were in bloom and Anna could smell the sweet scent of the wild Lilac bushes. She could hear the meadow larks singing in the trees. She was so happy that she would soon see Nancy again and her husband Earl.
She had worn her newest dress, a soft pink calico with tiny white flowers and her new pink silk poke bonnet that J. W. and Mary had given her for Christmas.

They traveled the new dirt road and it was so much smoother than driving over wild prairie land.
In Princeton they stopped at the local hotel to have some lunch.
They ate fried chicken and potato pancakes that had fresh Spring onions in them. Anna and Lod both poured home made maple syrup over the potato pancakes.
What a treat that was!


Stay tuned!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Debra.. I just love it.. Keep going.. smile..
    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra, this is the most moving project I've seen anyone do. I love it and will re-read it several times. I can't imagine what people had to go through to get to a new life. Amazing.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! This is going to be a great book! Blessings, Shirlee

    ReplyDelete